Tuesday, February 1, 2011

SCCM Web Management

After building my own web interface to SCCM administration and monitoring, I cannot think of one single reason to ever use MMC again.  Ever.  Never.  I fail to see the logic in why Microsoft sticks with such a clunky piece of crap console interface.  I never have to Update/Refresh/Update/Refresh when viewing the same information via the web.  I think I'll bundle it up and post it online as a free/open-source app, but only if there's interest out there.  I'd still have to clean up the code a bit, document it a bit more thoroughly.  It's ASP and can run on any IIS instance.  Uses integrated AD authentication to provide app-level access control, or it can be controlled within the ASP code directly.  Anyone interested? 

4 comments:

Marc C. said...

I'd be interested in taking a look. Think it would also work on SCOM?

skatterbrainz said...

The concept is possible with SCOM as well since they both rely upon a SQL backend, however, the work I've been doing is strictly with SCCM. I'm not ready to post anything yet. It would take some work to decouple it from where it is and make it generic enough to be useful to a broader audience. I'm not sure it's worth the effort until I get a feel for how much interest this might have.

Marc C. said...

Well, if you get a wild hair, let me know. Ever since MS got lazy and lumped everything into generic MMC's, they pretty much suck.

ade bishop said...

Sure, i'd would love anything that didn't let me have to use mmc