Monday, November 10, 2008

TV Commercials: Microsoft "I'm a PC"

We've all heard and read opinions about the effectiveness of Microsoft's "I'm a PC" advertising campaign. $300 million USD spent on this effort (that's around 200 Euros I think... yes, I'm kidding, relax. It's probably closer to 250 Euros by now). The latest round of this multiphased, multifaceted onslaught is a video montage of man-on-the-street vignettes. Ordinary Joe's saying "I'm a PC" with various angles and so forth.

Here's a suggestion: Don't let average people make your commercials if your business is aimed at geeks. You'd be better off enlisting a classroom of kindergartners to do your pitching.

Oh, and stop with the "I'm a PC". Try something more relevant like "I'm a Windows user" or "I love Vista" or something. A PC is a meaningless term now. Technically, anything that's used as a "personal computing" device is a PC. That includes a Mac. It includes a Blackberry also. This is just dumb. That's ok, 50 percent of everyone is dumber than average, so that probably still works as intended.

1 comment:

Phill said...

You know you have Steve Jobs to thank for perpetuating the "PC" label. "I'm a Mac - I'm Everything Else" just doesn't have the same oomph.