Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Favorite Drummers and Percussionists

Some of you are probably thinking: "Huh?" or "What the ****?".  Let me explain, see, for about ten years I actually put gas in my truck, bought food and otherwise lived on playing drums in various types of musicality in and around the podunk area of southeastern Virginia.  I gave it up in 1990 when I sold my kit and devoted my time to my wife and family.  Choosing my path to fortune and, well, whatever.  So I still hold a special place in my heart for percussion.  I played, at various times, with full kits, congas, timbales, djembe, and various metalic striking things (cowbells, bells, chimes, cymbals, gongs, etc.).  I do miss it.  But right now it's just not something I can entertain due to logistics and budget.

On with it then...

Buddy Rich
Vinnie Colaiuta
Steve Gadd
Terry Bozzio
Matt Sorum
Elvin Jones
Simon Phillips
Chad Smith
Mitch Mitchell
Keith Moon
Neil Peart
Ed Shaughnessy
Aynsley Dunbar
Ed Mann
Ian Paice
John Bonham
Airto
Tony Thompson
Rod Morgenstein
Dave Weckl
Paul Wertico
Bill Bruford
Steve Smith
Mickey Hart
Ruth Underwood (ok, tuned percussion, but still...)
Lionel Hampton

I'm sure I forgot someone that should be on this list.


No comments: