Saturday, April 16, 2011

WSUS Headaches and a Cure

It's been a long time since I've posted anything on WSUS.  For a while it was the biggest thing I dealt with, but now it's pretty seldom I worry about it.  Until one day when I bought a new internal hard drive for one of my servers and decided to swap it out without doing proper due diligence.

The server had a 500 GB IDE internal drive where WSUS was storing updates and the WinDB data files.  It runs on Windows Server 2008 R2, SP1.  When I swapped the IDE drive with a 1TB SATA internal drive, I didn't properly take down WSUS first.  So the result was a critically broken WSUS setup.  I couldn't uninstall WSUS and couldn't reinstall it either.  The errors were either 0x80004005 or 0x80004325 or something close.  I tried some of the recommended things like switching the "Windows Internal Database" service to use the local system account and reboot.  I tried MSICUU and all sorts of ugly hacking.  The role would not be removed and it would not let me force a new WSUS 3 SP2 install on top of it either.

The fix: Download and install SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, then install WSUS 3.0 SP2 x64 and point the database option to the SQL Express instance.  Bingo!  Back up and running fine.

Post a Comment