Monday, April 18, 2011

Empowering

From what I can tell there are two basic kinds of IT consultants: Those that are fine with doing the work, and those that want to empower their customers to be more capable.  It's not always a clear distinction of course, and quite often it is driven by the customer relationship.  In most cases I try to empower my customers.  I don't mind getting billable hours, but I don't like doing the same fix for the same break over and over again either.  I'd rather fix it, show them why it broke and how to avoid breaking it, and hopefully they appreciate the intent enough to hire me back again.  So far, so good.  Before you think I'm patting myself on the back, don't.  There are a huge number of consultants and other service providers that do the same thing every day.  The next time you get to experience someone trying to help you be a better you, thank them.  Pay it forward too.

No comments: