To non-nerds that title probably sounds like a mental meltdown, or some bizarre Xbox 360 game tactic. I've learned the hard way, that when you create a new guest virtual machine, to do the following:
- Snapshot BEFORE installing the guest operating system
- Snapshot AFTER installing and patching it up to date
- Snapshot BEFORE installing any non-standard roles/features or add-ons
- Snapshot BEFORE installing any third-party products
If you're going to use the guest to perform SYSPREP and WIM capturing:
- Snapshot it BEFORE running SYSPREP
That last one has saved me more time and headache than I can count. In fact, I really cannot count. I just fake it pretty well.