Saturday, March 12, 2011

Change of Direction: SCCM Web Admin to Web Admin?

It dawned on me as I've been working feverishly to develop this project that I'm using as many Active Directory features as I am SCCM features.  Users, Groups, Printers, Shares, Servers, and most of the usual suspects that end up getting added into "Saved Queries" for most seasoned Sys-Admins.  I'm hoping to make this thing a useful tool to view and manage some of the most common aspects of an Active Directory network environment, as well as a System Center Configuration Manager 2007 environment.

And most importantly: it will be FREE.  In fact, it will be offered under Creative Commons 3.0 licensing (attribution, non-commercial, share-alike), for anyone to use, private or business, with very few restrictions.

If you'd like to be involved in shaping this thing to your needs, just let me know.  I prefer developing with some constraints, rather than wandering in an open field.  While some view the word "constraints" as a negative concept, I don't.  A constraint is simply a defined parameter.  A boundary you have to work within.  There are constraints everywhere in life.  Every second of every minute of every life in ever part of the world, we live with, and depend on, constraints.  They are the edges of the road on which we drive our lives.  Whoa!  That was almost deep!  See what happens when I consume a triple-venti Latte?  Dangerous.  I need to stop that.

Back to the story…

So, I'm going to rename this project to something else.  I don't know if I want to step into a trademark quagmire at this point, so it will probably be something fairly utilitarian and blandly techno-oriented, but I don't know yet.  I'm anal about picking software product and project names.  I've been known to spend weeks deciding on a name.

Aside from the name and somewhat-expanded scope of this, I'm also going to make it so you can toggle the SCCM and AD features independently.  So if you want to use it for only AD management and not SCCM, that'll work fine, and the same will hold true for the opposite.  Does that sound about right?  Let me know.

1 comment:

skatterbrainz said...

Choice is made: The new name is "Windows Web Admin"