Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Remembering my Dad

Today, my dad would have been 93 years old.  However, he passed away in 1987 at the age of 69.  I got to thinking about some of the wacky stuff he used to do, and some of the wacky things he used to say, and I remembered a conversation we had back in 1985 while driving to the grocery store one day.  Ahead and to the right we could see what appeared to be a girl walking in the same direction, with her back to us as we approached.  Here's how the conversation went:

Dad: "I can't tell boys from girls anymore.  The hair is all the same now."

Me: "You're just being cranky. You don't understand how we dress nowadays.  That's obviously a girl."

Dad: "How can you tell?"

Me: "By the walk."

We were going about 20 MPH in a 25 zone on a neighborhood back street.  There was a long pause of silence as we finally caught up to this pedestrian.  Both our eyes darting to the right constantly to pick up any clues to be the first to claim victory.  When we finally passed "her", it was obvious "she" had a full-face beard. I'm talking: Grizzly Adams beard now.  I was completely blown away by this.

Dad: "Uh huh!" smiling and nodding

Me: "Wow.  I didn't expect that at all."

Dad: "He's not a very attractive girl."

No comments: