This is the MS certification track I followed and completed…
MCSA (4 exams) – July 2008
- 70-270 - Windows XP
- 70-290 - Windows Server 2003 (manage & maintain)
- 70-620 - Windows Vista
- 70-291 - Windows Server 2003 (network infrastructure, dns, dhcp, rras)
MCITP – Server Administrator (3 exams) – October 2009
- 70-640 - Windows Server 2008 (configuring AD)
- 70-642 - Windows Server 2008 (network infrastructure)
- 70-646 - Pro: Admin Windows Server 2008
MCITP – Enterprise Administrator (2 exams) – February 2010
- 70-643 - Windows Server 2008 (app infra: wsus, iis, sharepoint, etc.)
- 70-647 - Pro: Enterprise Admin (review test)
Normally the EA set consists of 3 exams, but the third exam is a toss-up of 620 or 680. Since I had passed 620 already I didn’t need it.
For me, the toughest exams were 291 and 642. However, 647 was the trickiest. I failed it the first try by one question. However, I did try to make it through while going head-first into a bad stomach Flu, so I tried to hurry up half-way through. I passed it the second time about two weeks later, after studying every spare minute I had. The trickiest part of 647 is reading the questions. The wording throws you off.