Friday, December 11, 2009

WalMart iPod Shopping Fail

So I took two of my four tax deductible offspring with me to hunt down an iPod for a Christmas gift.  I started by searching the WalMart web site, which shows they have 8, 16 and 32 GB iPod Touch models.  I’m looking for the 8 GB model only.  It says that in order to get a price quote, I need to plug in my ZIP code.  I did, and it shows (present tense, mind you) that both WalMart stores near me have them “In Stock” and at $181.00 ($185.00 with some bullshit blingy crappy accessory bullshit kit).

So we drive.

We get to the store on Lynnhaven Pkwy near Landstown (the big Wally World for us), only to find they only carry 32 GB models and they’re $295.00.  The empty rack for the 8 GB models is stamped $195.00.  Not $181.00.  When asking the clerk about this, he said they hadn’t carried the 8 or 16 GB models in at least a few weeks.  Strike 1.

So we drive.

We get to the store on Phoenix Road, which is a few miles NorthEast along Lynnhaven Pkwy near Lynnhaven Mall (handy, isn’t it?).  Same story.  Strike 2.  Only this time the clerks didn’t have time to help me since they were too busy explaining Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 to some 60 year old guy with his wife, who just stared at the box while the clerk yakked away on some caffeine drip, with some expression like they were wondering just what the fuck the clerk was even saying.  I doubt they had even ever seen an XBox 360, much less played one.  Strike 3

So we left.

Message for WalMart:  I know you don’t read blogs like this, you’re too busy counting your profits.  But if by some weird chance you do… Please consider fixing your broken-ass piece of shit web inventory system so that it not only shows what’s really “in stock” but maybe, possibly, shows the real price as well.  Ok, I’m kidding.  I know that’s how it’s supposed to work.  Bait and switch got me.  You guys are funny.

No comments: