Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Perils of Using Twitter for SysAdmin Automation

In the simplest terms:  Twitter is just too unreliable.  It suffers from performance problems and periodic outages and hiccups which make it risky to rely on for use as a system events notification tool.  The examples I posted on this blog for Sending Direct Messages, Fetching Direct Messages , and incorporating EventTriggers via VBscript and KiXtart were meant to show that this idea is indeed possible and feasible.  However, it is not very practical.  I’m sure many Twitter users would agree with this view, while others may not, but my experiences support this view as far as I’m concerned.  I love Twitter and use it heavily, and the API is impressive and surprisingly good.  But this falls into the old saying: Never confuse “could” with “should”.

No comments: