Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What I did on my Vacation

Some things I came away with from my short vacation weekend:

  1. IE8 Beta 2 is very nice, but was causing my machine to reboot a lot, so I had to remove it and go back to IE7 and FF3. I'll wait for the next beta or RC to come out and try it again.
  2. SQL Server 2008 is very very nice. I thought 2005 was a huge improvement over 2000, but 2008 is even better than that.
  3. ESX running within VMware Workstation does indeed work, but it's obviously slower than molassas.
  4. Verizon Wireless' coverage in my area is fantastic
  5. My bike needs some work

[EDIT 9:36 AM] The problems with IE8 are actually two unrelated issues. IE8 Beta 2 has been indeed locking up and becoming "unresponsive" at times, but the new crash recovery feature seems to work ok (not as well as Firefox 3 does however). The issue with my Windows Vista blue screen and reboot was due to a buggy nVidia GeForce 7 series driver update from June 23, 2008. Even though it had passed the nVidia labs testing as well as Microsoft's WHQL testing, it doesn't look like they tested it on a GeForce 7300 LE chipset on a Dell Dimension E520.

No comments: