Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hanna - Another Over-Hyped News Event

I'm sure some will disagree, but as of 3:30 pm EDT here in Virginia Beach, I can say that Hanna was not as severe as most typical "storms" I've seen.  Hardly any damage at all.  A few wind gusts, long periods of light-medium showers, that's it.  Not that I'm complaining about the lack of damage, but the news spent so much on intrusive coverage and stupidly overdone computer graphics that most expected a Cat-5 to hit shore and destroy everything in sight.  Not so.  I've lived here since birth (Hampton for 38 years, then moved across the bay to Virginia Beach in 2000) so I've seen quite a few storms, hurricanes and nor-easters blow through.  On a 1-10 scale I'd rate this one a 2.  The danger here is that each time the news knee-jerks into panic mode, they desensitize the public a little bit.  Enough repeat boy-cries-wolf situations and we'll end up in a bad situation of people ignoring a "real" storm threat.

No comments: