- Before you buy a new Wi-Fi router, be sure to try the standard IMNDSICUT process. That's short for "If my neighbor doesn't secure it, I can use it". It goes like this:
- Turn on your mobile device (laptop, tablet, smartphone, etc.)
- Click the link to search for active Wi-Fi networks.
- Look for the ones that do NOT have padlock symbol.
- Try connecting to each one until you get one that works.
- (tip: Be sure to check for any applicable local, state and/or federal laws that might cause you some concern before doing this. If you get in trouble, you read this on someone else's blog and my name is Bob)
- Next, if the above process doesn't pan out and you're a small business, rent space near a Starbucks, McDonald's, or any other retail or fast food chain outlet that offers free wi-fi.
- Next, if that doesn't pan out, run an ad on Craig's List for a room mate that is good at setting up Wi-Fi networks and also (this is important, pay attention) has a new wi-fi router.
- If all of the above options fail, you need to buy a new router.
You're all set! Good luck - and happy wi-fi-ing!