Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The New Book is Out!

For whatever reason, I realized just now that I forgot to post on my blog that my new book is out and available on Amazon.  It just skipped my mind with all the other things going on.


The new book is "The AutoCAD Network Administrator's Bible, 2013 Edition".  It's available now for $9.99 (USD) on Amazon Kindle, Kindle Fire and Kindle Reader apps (including the web or "cloud" reader).  If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can lend and borrow this book, like all of my books, saving you a bit of money in the process and sharing it with your friends and colleagues.

So, what's New?

This edition forced me to revisit both sides of AutoCAD network deployments: The building of the deployment image itself, and changes to the distribution processes incurred from new products and new technologies.  Among these:

  • Changes to the AutoCAD 2013 Deployment Tools
  • Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2012
  • Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2012 Update 1
  • Active Directory Group Policy Deployments
  • Script Deployments:
    • VBScript
    • PowerShell
    • BAT/CMD
  • Planning and Deploying FlexLM servers
  • Managing FlexLM licenses and options
  • Deploying DWG TrueView 2013
  • Deploying Design Review 2013
  • Troubleshooting Tips
It took me several months to get this one done, but hopefully it was worth it - and I really hope you find it to be helpful and useful as well.  As always, please... PLEASE... post your reviews on Amazon so I, and other readers, can benefit?  Thank you!

Special Thanks:

While I thanked a lot of people within the book, there are some I need to thank again for helping me get it out and available:
  • Johan Arwidmark - for generously taking time to review the book and provide corrections, and very helpful comments!  By the way, if you're one of few geeks who aren't aware of Johan, hit Google or Bing, and learn!  If you have any interest in MDT, ConfigMgr, automating software and operating system deployments, and learning about it in a way that's interesting and entertaining, you can't go wrong here.  If you are going to attend Microsoft TechEd, you don't want to miss one of his sessions either.
  • Rod Trent - for being supportive and helpful whenever I've bugged him for help.  If you're not aware of MyITForum, go check it out - it's a must-have resource for this kind of work. Trust me!
  • Ralph Grabowski - tireless advocate for all-things CAD/CAM and reporting on the state of the industry like nobody else. If you are interested in what's going on in the world of engineering and design automation software technology, check out UpfrontEzine!
  • Everyone who follows my boring blabber on this blog, on Google+, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.  Seriously: Thank you! I don't know why you do, but I appreciate it.
  • Last but not least: My amazing wife, Kathy, and my four incredible kids: Rachel, Sarah, Gabrielle and Zachary!
  • I'm sure I forgot someone, but don't be upset.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jimmy:
That looks like an amazing resource.
Please contact me for future additions. I would love to contibute.

Unknown said...

Jimmy:
Please feel free to contact me for future changes.
I would love to contribute.

skatterbrainz said...

Who is Jimmy?