Saturday, June 16, 2012

From Adios to Hola! SCCM is Back in my World

I thought it was funny that I ran across this post from 2010, where I said I was leaving the SMS/SCCM world behind because there "were no opportunities" available to apply my skills in that realm.  At the time it was true, there were no such opportunities in my reach.  However, since July 2010, when I moved on to a different employer, Configuration Manager is very much back in my life.  It was evident from how I pumped up the "AD Web Admin" project, and then dismantled it to use in a real production environment (in pieces. reorganized and reconstituted).
I've been spending a LOT of time weaving together ASP/HTML/CSS/JavaScript with SQL and SWBEM to extend Configuration Manager and integrate it via the web with Active Directory, asset inventory databases, and role-based access control.  It's a fun project and I love every minute I get to spend on it.  I know what you're thinking: "why not ASP.Net?".  Because it's what I originally built the ADWA project with and it was easier to restructure it than start over, and my ASP.Net skills aren't quite up to that task yet.  In any case, it works, and does what the customer wants it to do, which is a nice thing.

It just goes to show, to me at least, that you never know what's around the next corner.