Thursday, December 8, 2011

Counting Down and Catching Up

Only 16 days left until this blog is retired.  To catch up on my boring stuff.  Warning: This post contains a lot of aimless rambling, but with the name "skatterbrainz" I hope you didn't expect anything else...

I'm still working on multiple projects and another book (maybe).  The book is becoming a much bigger project than I expected (not the book on packaging either, totally different topic), so I may be having to make a go/no-go decision soon.  It will depend on how well I can reign in the scope and keep it manageable.  Otherwise it will be yet another scrapped project.  I'll keep you posted on Twitter and Google+, which is where I will be spending most of my time from now on.  Some Facebook as well.  Friend me or follow me, whatever you like. I could use more friends on Twitter, but I'm using Google+ more than anything else right now.  I just like the vibe at this point.  It reminds me of Facebook in 2006-2007, before it got bloated and stupefied.

I finally ditched the Blackberry.  My 11th Blackberry device since 2000 actually.  I now have a shiny new iPhone 4S 16Gb, and I love it.  I can't stop playing with the damn thing.  I spent a few days in and out of the Verizon store comparing the Androids and iPhones (they didn't have any WP7 models on hand, go figure), and decided on the iPhone 4S mainly for two reasons:  The price and the form/size.  Some folks refuse to accept that I don't want to friggin huge screen.  I want something I can carry and drop in my pocket without looking like a brick.  I don't watch a lot of movies on a mobile device, I'll use a laptop or a TV (gasp!  a real TV?!)  So I'm happy with this for now.  Maybe later I'll grow tired of it and yearn for something different, but I'm good for now.

The Windows Web Admin project is long dead, but a lot of it lives on a much bigger project I've been building for a customer.  I have to say I love working on it and it's turning into much more than I ever expected.  I'm glad the customer likes it as well, that makes it a win-win.

My current arsenal of gadgets to entertain my life:

  • Windows 7
  • Google Chrome 17 /dev
  • Office 2010
  • Paint.NET 3.x
  • TextPad 5
  • Windows Server 2008 R2
  • VMware Workstation 8
  • Calibre (for authoring e-books)
  • System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R3 and 2012 RC1 (lab setup)
  • WSUS 3 SP2 (at home, yes, at home)
  • InstallShield AdminStudio 10 SP2
  • SQL Server 2008 R2
  • iPhone 4S (foshizzle!)
  • Kindle 3 (love it!)
  • A 1995 Subaru Legacy with 160,000 miles (runs like a champ)
  • A dog, standard model Beagle, female
  • A cat, standard model black-n-white, female
In a short while all of these will appear outdated, including myself.

Thought:  As a systems engineer / consultant / architect / developer / nerd / geek, I've come to accept that all that I work on will eventually be replaced and forgotten.  I think back to all of the folks who pioneered new things in the 1980's, 1990's, and early 2000's, who's efforts paved the roads for progress.  Most, if not all, of their accomplishments have been replaced and forgotten.  My grandfather made furniture.  I'm sure there are people still rocking in his chairs he made decades ago.  Sometimes I wonder what "progress" really is.

No comments: