Friday, June 10, 2011

Mapping Out Windows 7 Automation Options

This is another one of those projects I’ve had swimming around in the back of my puny brain for a long time.  Think of it like an ant rollerskating around the inside of a vacant Walmart building.  Yeah.  Kind of like that.

The idea was to map out various “common” IT chores against the four most common methods for automating them and checking which ones work best and which are the “easiest” to implement.  Is it perfect?  Ha!  If you know anything about me you’ll know it’s at least sincere and fairly thorough, but I cannot claim 100% accuracy.  It is a living document since I’m using one of Google’s coolest and most flexible tools: Google Sites List Page template.  It lets you define your own list structures, including data types per column (text, date, URL, checkbox, drop-down, etc.) and specify the default sorting options. 

I plan on adding to this and updating it as time permits and as something new comes up.  I welcome any input and corrections, so chime in and I will be sure to post credit for submissions/corrections on the page.  I hope it helps system admins to more quickly pick an option to solve an automation challenge using one of the many built-in features of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

https://sites.google.com/site/skatterbrainz/automation

Please check it out and let me know what you think?  Thank you!

1 comment:

skatterbrainz said...

Thanks Rod! I hope to get some feedback/input to shore it up more.