Tuesday, May 3, 2011

VBScript Bulk Import for MDT 2010

Michael Niehaus had posted a nice blog article on using PowerShell to perform bulk import of computers into MDT 2010.  My near-term project pipeline has me working more with VBscript and ASP than PowerShell, so I needed to figure out a way to port at least a basic portion of Michael's efforts to help with what I was working on.  I didn't go as far into building out a mini-API like he did, but I did manage to get the bare minimum working: bulk computer import.  The script is only built for reading a simple CSV format text file right now, but it could easily be modified to read from XML or Excel or pretty much any FSO or ADO data source.  The script is posted on my download page at https://sites.google.com/site/skatterbrainz/downloads/mdt2010.vbs.txt?attredirects=0&d=1   Read the comments in the heading (including the snooze-fest disclaimer stuff) and kick the tires. Let me know if it works for you or not?

ok, actually, the path that led me to Michael's article was like this:  I downloaded MDT Web Frontend from Codeplex and played around with it.  I emailed Maik Koster about how to make it capable of bulk/batch computer import and he pointed me to Mitch Tulloch's tutorials on MDT 2010 and the one (part 22 actually) on using Michael Niehaus' bulk import PowerShell script.  Phew!  See what happens when you fall down a slippery slope?  Amazing things happen.

No comments: