Sunday, March 27, 2011

The AutoCAD Network Administrator's Bible - 2012 Edition

ANAB2012_CoverPageI just submitted the final cut to Amazon for publishing.  It should be available for purchase in a few days.  I'll be honest: This one snuck up on me.  I really didn't expect as much work and time to be involved in this edition.  My first impression of the changes in AutoCAD 2012 were that it was all about the product itself and very little (if any) to do with deployment aspects.  I was wrong. Not incredibly wrong, mind you, but somewhat wrong.  Is that proper English?  "Somewhat wrong"?  Is that like "sort of dead" or "kind of pregnant"?  I don't know.

I put more work into the new Deployment building process, the small-but-important changes to the components and prerequisites (DirectX 9, 10 and 11 now), Visual C++ Runtimes 2005, 2008 SP1 and 2010, and of course - no party would be jumping without .NET 4.0 showing up with four bottles of heavy liquor in each hand.

I also spent more time capturing screen shots of the Development build process, discussing the options and caveates of folders, permissions, shares, logging and so forth.  In addition, I spent more time with SCCM on the packaging, customization and advertising aspects with DirectX, and .NET 4.0 as well as with AutoCAD 2012 itself.  I included some screen shots of Wise Package Studio 8 during the DirectX component packaging process.  There are updates, tweaks, adjustments, shifts and changes scattered throughout the book this time.  I hope the structure is better this time as well.  I will post an update here when the book is available for purchase.

I'd like to thank Ralph Grabowski, Shaan Hurley and Rod Trent for being supportive and offering valuable advice and guidance, as well as the readers of the previous edition for (A) purchasing the book and (B) providing valuable feedback.  Cheers!

No comments: