Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Projects

Latest Iteniary keeping me busy by day, and up all night.  As usual.

  • ASP-based web app.  Intranet Portal aspect.  Tying together SQL data linked from SCCM, with Active Directory, to produce specialized reports and annotation
  • An intranet portal migration from ASP to Sharepoint Foundation 2010
  • A Resume Database to mass import Word crap (and I mean "crap") referred to as "resumes" into a searchable heap.  Looking over the (de-)evolution of professional resumes over the previous twenty years I can see why we offshore jobs.
  • Scratching my head about what to write about next.
  • Scratching my nuts (I'm a guy.  What did you expect?). And by the way, statistically speaking: I get as many good ideas from scratching my nuts as I do from scratching my head.  There's a correlation there somewhere.  I'm still searching for it.
  • I'll think of more later

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

>Looking over the (de-)evolution of professional resumes over the previous twenty years

Could you please detail a little more? Is it style that's killing it or grammar or irrelevant details or what?

I'm asking because, at my location, we never saw any good ones to begin with.

skatterbrainz said...

Yes. All the above. Younger folks tend to forget the spellchecker and don't bother with using the Heading style elements. Older folks leave in waaaaay too much irrelevant shit. Like punch-card experience, COBOL and working with ENIAC. Also, most don't match the quantity of verbage to the job position applied for. A tier-1 tech position doesn't need a 5-page resume. A CIO position shouldn't involve a half-page resume either. You pretty much guessed it. There's plenty of how-to guides and web sites around to cure this ill, but it seems (in the IT world anyway) nobody is reading them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. That pretty much sums up the problem.
Our fresh graduates coming in for internships and other stuff (my team is affiliated with a technical high school) make me want to bang my head against the wall with intensity depressingly increasing over time.

And I once used to think it was only a local trend of our backwoods.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. That pretty much sums up the problem.
Our fresh graduates coming in for internships and other stuff (my team is affiliated with a technical high school) make me want to bang my head against the wall with intensity depressingly increasing over time.

And I once used to think it was only a local trend of our backwoods.

skatterbrainz said...

You're not alone by any means. I do think that as you go up the corporate echelon, the quality of resumes increase. Mostly due to having the means to pay others to do the work.