Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!

Dissection

2008 was a rough year for many.  For me it began as the WORST year since losing both of my parents (one in 1987, the other ten years later).  It gradually turned around, but recovering from the layoff that year continues to this day.  2009 was at least more stable than 2008 was.  2010 showed marginal improvements for the most part, and improving towards the end.  Of course, I'm merging a lot of aspects into a single "rating" which is a bit skewed.  I think most of us can evaluate a given year on many levels and from many angles.  Work, home, hobbies, financial, health, friendships, mechanical/electrical repairs, and good old-fashioned luck.

Looking Ahead

I don't look ahead anymore.  Some say that's pessimistic.  I say it's optimistic.  The less I try to pin on speculation, the better my chances are of avoiding emotional failures.  Sure, I plan ahead, but I'm not going to say things like "2011 is going to be a GREAT year!" (like Tony the Tiger might scream out).  The honest thing to say would be "I'm going to do my best in 2011, on everything I do".  Football teams don't pin their prospects on scoring a touchdown on every single play.  Boxers don't expect a knock-out on the first punch.  Soccer players don't expect to kick a goal on every single kick.  They work on increments.  Climbing the rungs of a ladder.  And so will I.

The thing that bothers me every time a year winds up is hearing all the resolutions and promises, etc.  As if it means anything that you waited until one time of the year to embark on improving your life is not disingenuous.  Please.  If something matters that much, you'd have already made the promise to do it, and you would have already started work on it.  This is why I don't do New Year's resolutions.  Ever.  Every day is a chance to consider what we need to do, and do it. 

But as always, I will have to wait out the first two weeks of January before I can get back into walking and jogging, because I have to wait for the crowds of resolutioners to thin out from giving up (They always do.  Even my kids notice this every year: "Remember how crowded the park trail was right after New Year? Look at how empty it is now!")

As for projects: I have one more book coming.  It's long overdue and I'm trying to make sure I go over it repeatedly to avoid mistakes or forgetting to include something.  After that is done, I'm not sure what my next project will be.  I'd like to keep writing, but I'm not sure what to write about next.  But aside from writing, I have work and family to keep me busy enough.  I'm just waiting for Spring.  I hate cold weather.

In the meantime, I hope that 2011 is good for you, your families and your friends.  Let's all try to tone down the political rhetoric and put people above politics. I always thought that was why we exist in the first place.

No comments: