Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Visual LISP Developer’s Bible - RIP

Given that AutoLISP and VisualLISP are essentially dead programming languages, I decided to pull the plug on the hopes of reviving and updating my eBook “The Visual LISP Developer’s Bible”.  But what strikes me as strange is that the visitor traffic to that web site has been rising steadily ever since.  If anyone knows why please let me know?  I’m curious.  I still don’t have any plans to revive it, but I also don’t think it will be deleted anytime soon (unless Google decides for me).

Logo

I’ve said it before and I’ll probably keep saying it when I’ve had too much to drink: I miss working with Visual LISP.  I really think it has (had) potential to stand on its own, outside of AutoCAD.  I would rather use it for cross-platform scripting than Java, Perl or PowerShell (that was a joke obviously.  PowerShell only works on one platform).  Dynamic functions, mapcar and lambda, self-defining expressions, ooohh, oh, I gotta stop.  I may need to find a box of Kleenex.

3 comments:

Paul Munford said...

(Auto)Lisp is the easiest way of interacting with Autocad (programmaticaly).

Visual Lisp is a natural - and very powerful, progression. Visual Lisp is great all the way up until you want your own UI, then the wonders of VBA/Vb.net take over.

There is a lot more information out there on Auto Lisp than Visual Lisp. And very little for VB.net, so it's not surprising that your very useful resource is still 'Well Thumbed' !

R.K. McSwain said...

I've referenced "the bible" many times and frequently point people to it when necessary. I think it's a great resource. Thanks.

skatterbrainz said...

Thank you (both)! I appreciate that.