Thursday, October 21, 2010

Challenges are Good. Usually.

Everyone likes a challenge.  The only difference is what kind of challenge and how difficult it is, before it either becomes “not fun” or detrimental.

Today was a good challenge day for me.

I had a walk-up request (I actually like those when my normal day involves assembly-line-ish work):  Pull the UUID from the computer during PXE / WinPE boot session, query a remote database for the corresponding asset tag value, update a data flat-file on the client, run a local BIOS flash import utility to flash the BIOS with the new information, set the computer name and owner information, turn on NUMLOCK and IDE settings, enable TPM and continue on.  All from a F12 network boot.  But that’s not all!  If you act now… you can also make this work on a USB boot device with a local script to prompt for the computer name and then flash the BIOS and do the other tricky stuff.

Awesome!!!  I’m off for the weekend.  Ginormous project to knock out and tomorrow marks 22 years of marriage for my wife and I.  If we can get the kids out of the house for the day I’m going to take her out for breakfast, lunch, a walk on the beach and maybe dinner.  Finger’s crossed!

4 comments:

Phil said...

Hey - congratulations and happy anniversary - lets hoping you chase the kids out !

Have fun

Phil

skatterbrainz said...

Thanks Phil!

Rod Trent said...

Congrats to you and your wife!

skatterbrainz said...

Thanks guys! I really appreciate that.