Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Gimme One Good Reason…

I track all my online crap with Google Analytics and try to make sense of the traffic loads.  I can’t.  It’s impossible.  The relationship between topics posted and traffic loads (regardless of type) is non-existent.  I can’t even trace peak traffic against any one topic.

So, I have to ask you, a reader: What topics do you find interesting enough to get you to read my rubbish?  Are you tripping over it from a random web search?  Are you a regular visitor?  Do you follow links from other web sites?  Help me understand why you’re here and what you would like to see posted?

Each year I’m finding my spare time becomes less and less.  My kids are getting older and I have more demands placed on my time at work, at home and on side projects.  On top of this I’m getting older and don’t have the energy I used to have even a few years ago.  I’ve pretty much bailed on Twitter because I just don’t have anything to contribute there anymore.  I like things which are socially interactive, which Facebook is (for the most part), but not Twitter.  I just didn’t get a significant interaction there.  I don’t mean to slight anyone, the few that did interact with me there are fantastic people and I still follow their tweets, but I just don’t have any desire to tweet anymore.

I know I’ve said this about blogging before as well.  But I’m getting more and more pragmatic about all of it as time moves on.  I’m trying to rationalize why I continue to post to this blog, as well as the other blogs I deal with.  I’m going to simplify my life this year, and my online presence is definitely going to be reduced as a result.

The amount and content of feedback I get from this post will directly decide the fate of this blog.  The future of mediocrity is in your hands.

3 comments:

Paul Munford said...

I live for the nuggets of code and ocassional Autocad/Inventor installation & deployment tips.

The ranting often raises a smile though ;-)

Phill said...

Beer...
Pr0n...
Dancing penguins...

You know, the usual stuff...

Unknown said...

I have only been reading your blog for a few months but have throughly enjoyed the information and the way you present it, sprinkled with humor and the occasional soapbox. Keep it up!!!