Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My First Windows 7 Crash!

OMG - My FIRST crash in Windows 7. I have installed it on five separate computers, desktops and laptops, without any problems. Starting with build 7000, then installing builds 7032, 7048, 7057 (a terrible build), 7068 (very solid), 7077, and now 7100 aka "RC". I've never seen a lock-up, crash or BSOD on any of these builds on any computer. I've never heard of anyone I know personally having seen a BSOD with Windows 7 either. That says a lot, especially coming from people that HATE using Vista (they all love Windows 7, kind of funny).

On my kids computer, which is a Dell Optiplex GX280 with 1 GB memory, I have Windows 7 RC 32-bit installed with Ultimate edition. My son installed his favorite PC game, "Guild Wars: Factions". The situation is when my son enters a battle, and stands in front of another virtual player, and when it gets to the end of a countdown for a PVP match, the game throws an exception which results in a BSOD. The error includes the following:

Module: ialmdev5.dll
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Stop: 0x00000050 (0x87E22000, 0x00000001, 0x87D4663F, 0x00000000)
Address: 87D4663F base at 87D40000 datestamp 44230744


Looking to see if the vendor has a patch for this or some mention of it being a known issue. The vendor is NCSoft. If anyone has seen this before, please let me know? Regardless, this has not shaken my faith or love for Windows 7. I strongly believe this is the best version of Windows ever created. I can't blame them for vendor shortcomings.

2 comments:

Steven said...

this is a video driver crash. it is not uncommon to see this with games while hte drivers for Windows 7 are currently in beta. You might try to use the Vista driver that can be downloaded from the dell web site to see if the crash still happens--that would verify the source of hte problem.

skatterbrainz said...

I already checked on that but there are no Vista drivers for the GX280.