Tuesday, January 6, 2009

WS08 Uptime

One of the UNIX guys I work with stopped by to chat about FreeBSD and “uptime”.  I had to stop and think about this, but excluding general power outages, and applying software updates, I have not had to reboot my server EVER.  It has never locked up or crashed on me since it was setup back in early 2007.  It’s running on crap hardware actually.  An old Dell GX-280 with 1GB RAM and an 80 GB system drive and an external USB drive for backups.  It’s running as a file/print and media hosting server, as well as IIS and SQL for intranet apps and it’s also my home WSUS server.  Damn.  Solid as a rock.

Edited:  Actually, it was a beta version I had installed back in 2007.  I think I installed the current “instance” about a year ago.  The beta did hang one time, come to think of it.  It was while setting up my UPS software (unsupported version at the time).  Since RTM however, not a single unplanned reboot, aside from a few power outages.

No comments: