Friday, January 30, 2009

Troubleshooting MSI Package Installations

Ok, I need to thank Chris Nacker for thanking Aaron Stebner, who should probably thank his parents, his agent and the academy.  I'm being a smartass, I know.  Sorry.

Anyhow, the instructions Chris shows work great.  I dropped them into a .BAT file and it makes it a little easier to turn on logging, then pause (while you run the msi package, and capture the log file), then press Enter to let the BAT script complete by turning logging back off.  I'm so lazy, I try to automate my laziness.  Even this feels like too much work.

@echo off
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer" /v Debug /t REG_DWORD /d 7 /f 
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer" /v Logging /t REG_SZ /d voicewarmupx! /f
echo MSI logging is ENABLED
echo Run your MSI package now and then return to press ENTER
pause
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer" /v Debug /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer" /v Logging /f
echo MSI logging is DISABLED

No comments: