Thursday, January 8, 2009

Information Mining with Google Reader

I've grown to LOVE Google Reader.  I can't live without it.  I have almost a hundred feeds, arranged into folder groups like "blogs", "news", "articles", and so forth.  But what I've found to be extremely productive and helpful is using the star feature.  I skim articles and tag them with a star to indicate they are important enough to save into a "hot list" of sorts.  That has saved me so many times I can't even count anymore.  I can view all my starred items or search through them and find answers to problems I run across.  Rather than stockpiling bookmarks or favorites, or printing things, I can tag them and it's like tossing them into a "save" pile for later use.  Tech tips are the most obvious use for that, but even interesting anecdotes, opinions, reviews, or how-to articles.  You can see what I'm reading at anytime by going here.  You can even add my feeds as one of your feeds, which results in a feed of feeds (with some filtering of course).

No comments: