Sunday, December 14, 2008

To Quit or Not to Quit. Is this the Question?

After post 269, I was seriously thinking about giving this up.  I had received a few negative e-mails from some posts and was starting to wonder what the "direction" of this blog really is, or if it even has any direction at all.  Some read that post and asked if I was indeed considering this, so I gave it some thought.  I also got a few positive, reassuring e-mails as well, which is always nice.  I really appreciate that and would like to thank everyone that reads this blog for taking the time to do so.  I think it's become my only quasi-creative outlet these days.  

Years ago I was an artist, mostly pen and ink and pencil work, and that went well, but I ran out of time to dedicate to it.  Then I got into music, percussion and piano actually, and that dried up due to lack of opportunities running head-on into family life.  It was time to focus on a career with a greater probability of stability and reliability.  That's a lot of -ilities for sure.  I sort of fell into computers and software back in the 1990's by accident.  My job as a naval designer led me to the early CAD/CAM world.  That was UNIX (Computervision CADDS 4X, then Intergraph), and it was a fantastic time to be getting into that new world.  From there I was led into AutoCAD on the 386-DX PC and DOS.   Remember when SX and DX mattered?  Remember when DX2 chips came out?  The rest is pretty much like everyone else:  DOS to Netware to Windows 95 and NT and so on.

Where was I?  Oh yes.  Asking the question of whether to quit or not to quit doing this blog.  I think the answer is not to quit.  I still need to let it flow and hopefully I'll figure out a theme or focus on which to narrow my efforts down to be more interesting and efficient.  Maybe not.  Who knows.  Stream of conciousness writing has some interesting qualities, even if the stream wanders into some stupid areas at times.  Oh well.  I'm sticking with it for now.  If you think I should focus on something or certain types of topcs in particular, let me know?  Otherwise, I will just continue to ramble on like a skatterbrain.

No comments: