Monday, October 27, 2008

Resurrecting My Blackberry

I still have my trusty old Blackberry 8703, which is quite old but still works great. I hadn't bothered updating the software or checking for new apps in quite a long time. I bought the device on eBay from a reputable seller for about $130 in "like new" condition. It was in pristine condition indeed and I've never had any problems with it aside from a brief issue with Verizon trying to get it activated on their network. Long story for another time.

So I finally updated the OS and checked for what changes it included. There's a few, but the nicest things are the newest apps. I've updated the Gmail and Google Maps add-ins, as well as installing the Facebook add-in. Google Maps is very nice and the new UI features are fantastic. The Gmail client is nice also, but the way the 8703 OS ties the general mail client into your primary (which is Gmail in my case) makes for some redundant icons. I can hide/show any of the icons though, so that's not a problem. The UI is much improved and seems faster to navigate and manage email messages. The Facebook client has a very cool UI indeed, and I feel it is one of the most polished add-ins I've seen for a Blackberry. If all the add-ins were as well integrated it would be very nice. I've also installed the CNBC client and the Windows Live Messenger client. This thing rocks... again. And I didn't have to spend a dime.

No comments: