Thursday, July 3, 2008

VMware Server 2.0 RC - More Thoughts

As a follow-up to my previous post on this recent release, I have to say that I'm a bit miffed at the quality of this so-called "release candidate". At least with respect to both instances I have running on two separate physical hosts running on XP SP2. It is still very quirky. They have indeed cleaned up the UI in many places, especially within the pop-out console window frames. But the stability is lacking. It quite often locks up, both on it's own stack, and locking up the entire host O/S quite often. The culprit seems to be the vmware-vmx.exe service process. When things get ugly, and I kill that process, it seems to let go of whatever was choking my host to death.

I really hope they can fix this cloudy set of "issues" (as I prefer to call them) as well as further improve the performance overall. Running so much on top of a web console is somewhat of a house of cards in some respects. There is always a tad less to be expected in terms of performance, as wel as stability, when running a heavy-load web console application as compared to a native desktop application. The effort is respectable and the results are indeed impressive, so far. But I don't feel it's ready for production use at this point.

No comments: